If you have been using Android for some time (and you don’t restart it too often), you probably have a lot of cached data.
Cleaning it from time to time is a great idea as it will improve the performance and speed of your device. In this tutorial I will show you how to clean cache on Android manually and with the use of a special app. Ready to begin?
Method One: How to Manually Clean Cache on Android
Manually cleaning cache on Android may differ depending on the phone manufacturer and version of Android you are running, so I will show you how to do it on the example of four different Android phones.
In Android 4.2. and up (in not all phone models though) it’s possible to clean cached data with one click. In older versions of Android you can only clean cache for one app at a time or use the second method described in this tutorial.
Sony (Android 5.1.1)
- Go to Settings > Storage. Swipe down until you see Cached data and tap on it. Click OK to clear cached data. As you can see, my phone accumulated 332MB. That’s a lot!
- Go to Settings > Application Manager. Swipe left to see all running apps. Click on Show cached processes to see the cached data that can be cleaned. Click on each item to display more information.
- To clean cache, swipe farther left to access ALL. Click on the app you want to clean. Under tab Cache you will see item Clear cache. Simply click on it.
In this Samsung phone the option of cleaning all cached data with one click (in storage settings) is unfortunately unavailable.
In HTC the process looks very similar to how you did it on Samsung.
- Go to Settings > Apps. Swipe left until you see ALL. Navigate to the app you want to clean and click on it.
- Swipe down until you see Cache and click on Clear cache.
In this HTC phone the option of cleaning all cached data with one click (in storage settings) is unfortunately unavailable.
Alcatel fortunately lets you to clean cache with one click. Here is how you do it:
- Go to Settings > Storage.
- Click on Cached data and then OK. Cached data item will disappear.
This is how you can manually clean cache on various Android phones. Now let’s learn how to do it with the use of an app.
Method Two: How to Clean Cache on Android with App Clean Cache
If you don’t want to look for this specific feature (or your phone lacks it), you can simply use an app that will do it for you. Here is how you do it step by step:
- Download and install Clean Cache from Google Play.
- Open the app and wait until the scan is complete.
- The app will tell you how many cache files there are (and of how many apps). Using buttons in the top bar, you can sort apps by name, show as grid, or show as list. To clean cache, simply click on Clean All.
That’s all. You know now how to clean cache on your Android phone both manually and with the use of an app.
Do you have any questions or problems? Feel free to leave me your comments in the comment box below. I would love to hear from you.