This is the beginner tutorial so we won’t be getting into much detail in this article. All you need to know for now is that the nature of Android OS is that whenever you open some app, it usually stays in the background so that if you need it again you can come back to it quicker.
There are basically two schools of thought regarding apps running in the background. Some people say you should kill apps you don’t use any more (by either using some app killer or simply closing them). Others say you should leave them as they are for quicker access and navigation.
Assuming you leave them all running in the background, you also need a way to navigate between them which is what I am about to show you. Let’s begin!
How to Navigate between Activities in Android
Even though it’s extremely easy, navigating between activities in Android is a bit different in every phone model. Let me show you how to do it on Sony, Samsung, HTC and Alcatel.
How to Navigate between Activities in Android (Sony)
Sony really took care about the simplicity and user experience for its phone users. All you need to do to navigate between activities in Sony is:
- Click on the square button in the bottom right.
- Once you click on the button, you will see all the activities running in the background. Simply scroll up and down to navigate between them! If you want to close some up, swipe it left or right.
- To close all the apps, click on the green button with three stripes. It will instantly close all the apps.
How to Navigate between Activities in Android (HTC)
Switching between activities in HTC is quite similar. All you need to do is:
- Tap on the double square button in the bottom right.
- Once you click on the button, you will see the list of all the activities. To quickly navigate between activities, simply click on the activity you want to go to.
- To close the activity, drag it to top until it disappears. To close all the activities, tap on the button with “x”.
How to Navigate between Activities in Android (Samsung)
Navigating between activities in Samsung is slightly different because in most Samsung mobiles you also have physical buttons at the bottom of the screen. To navigate between apps you have to:
- Hold the home button for a moment (1-2 seconds).
- You will then see the list of activities running in the background. To switch between them, simply tap on the activity you want to go to.
- To close the app, simply swipe it left. To close all the apps, tap on the button with “x” in the left bottom corner.
How to Navigate between Activities in Android (Alcatel)
Navigating between activities in Alcatel is a bit similar to how I did it on Samsung with physical buttons at the bottom of the screen. All you need to do is:
- Hold the right button with three lines (it’s a physical counterpart of the virtual square buttons in HTC and Sony).
- To clear just one app, swipe it to top until it disappears.
- To clear all the apps, simply tap on Clear all.
TIP: Remember that once you kill (close) some app, it will take it longer to relanuch once you want to access it again (it has to be started over). However, returning to the app already in the background is usually a bit quicker. I suggest you leave the apps you want to quickly access.