Hello guys! Today it is the first day of my four-day leave so I finally have a bit more time for my blog and can work “full-time” on it for these four days. I have just finished introducing some improvements and slight changes (e.g. I added the newsletter sign-up form in the right sidebar) to the website.
As I haven’t done any app review for a long time, my first post during these free days is going to be the review of a very interesting app I came across a few days ago. The app I am talking about is SoundSnip, a simple and powerful Android audio recording app. Let me tell you a bit more about it.
What SoundSnip Is & What It Does
SoundSnip, as the name may suggest, is a very simple but powerful Android audio recording app which works with both Android phones and Android Wear watches.
- It lets you capture (record) the moment as an audio file after it happened.
- It actually continuously records sound in temporary audio loops and doesn’t save anything permanently. It will save sound in the form of a an audio file only when you tell it to do so.
- If you want to record a moment from the past (it records in retrospect), you can capture the last minutes (up to 10 minutes) of audio by simply tapping your smartwatch or phone.
- Once you activate the app, you can enable background recording.
- You initiate recording either directly from the app or with the use of the shortcut you can place in the home panel of your phone
- You can, of course, share your recording via social and cloud services.
What Makes SoundSnip Stand Out
You’ve probably noticed that there are tons of audio recording apps for Android in Google Play. However, SoundSnip has two serious advantages in comparison to other audio recorders:
- Efficiency. The logic behind how the app works (i.e. records in temporary loops of 10 minutes max.) makes it very efficient and the captured moment highly relevant. You don’t have to look for interesting moments in longish recordings because SoundSnip lets you go back in time just after something interesting happens.
- Working in the background. The app has the energy-saving option of running in the background so you can really forget about turning on recording before, for example, a meeting. All you need to do is tell the app to go back in time soon after an interesting event happened.
How SoundSnip Works
When you open the app for the first time you will see the short introduction (you can see its screenshot form the info screen in above) and a shot guide of how to use the app.. This is an extremely minimalist app and you don’t have to sift through tons of settings and features to start using it efficiently. Here is what you need to do step by step:
- Open the app and click GOT IT once you familiarize yourself with the tutorial.
- To start recording, simply tap on the microphone icon in the bottom right. This will start the background recording which you will be able to control from either the app, the notification menu on your phone or your smartwatch.
- If you have Android “M”, you will need to grant a number of permissions to the app (e.g. allow access to photos, media and files).
- Once you tap on the mic once again, the background recording will stop. Top to capture the last moment (which will be saved as an audio file under “My Snips”).
- Click on the list icon on the bottom left to view your recordings. From here you can play, share, rename or delete your recordings.
- The settings of the app are within the sidebar.
- In the settings of the app you can choose whether you want to, for example, enable clear recordings from your pocket (whether voice in the background should be boosted automatically), use vibration or set the maximum rewind time (with has been extended to 10 minutes in the newest version).
The above screenshots show you how the app looks on an Android phone. Fortunately, you can also use it with your Android Wear watch.
SoundSnip On Android Wear Watch
If you install SoundSnip on your Android phone and sync it with your Android Wear watch (with the use of an Android Wear app), you will be able to operate it from your wrist. You can use your watch to either start or stop recording.
Share Your Thoughts
Do you like the SoundSnip app? What other possobile applications of SoundSnip can you think of?
Feel free to post me your comments in the comment box below or contact me directly. I would love to hear from you!