You might think (and you will probably be right) that Android Wear watches by design are supposed to work with Android phones rather than with other devices like tablets.
However, nothing stands in the way of pairing your Android Wear watch with your Android tablet if you want to. All Android devices, after all, are meant to work together and improve the quality of your life.
In today’s tutorial I will show you how to pair your watch with your Android tablet in a few simple steps. Ready?
A Few Things You Need to Know
Before we go to the actual manual, there are a few things, or rules, so to speak, you need to know. Here is what they are:
- You can pair multiple watches to one phone or tablet. No problem with that!
- You cannot pair one watch with multiple phones or tablets at one time. I am sorry! 🙁
- You can pair your Android Wear watch only with one iPhone, Android tablet or phone at one time. That’s something!
- If you want to pair your watch to a different phone or tablet, you will need to reset your watch to factory settings at first and then pair it to a new device. Make it a well-thought decision.
- You can pair your Android Wear watch with your tablet over Bluetooth (like you pair with different phones or devices, i.e. without the use of the Android Wear app) just to be able to send data between the two devices.
In this tutorial I will be pairing my Android Wear smartwatch with my Android tablet. Note that I will be pairing my watch that is already paired with my Android phone, so I will need to restore it to factory settings at first.
How to Pair Android Wear with Android Tablet
Below are the exact step by step instruction how you can pair your Android wear watch with your Android tablet.
- As noted above, you cannot pair one Android Wear watch with multiple devices, so if your watch has already been paired, you need to restore it to factory settings at first. Go to Settings on your watch, and then tap on Factory reset.
- When asked, confirm your choice.
- Your watch will reboot, start its automatic configuration and welcome you with the below screen (I couldn’t take a screenshot of my unpaired watch so I took a photo instead).
- Take your Android tablet (turn Bluetooth on) and follow the instructions on the screen of your watch: download the Android Wear app to your tablet and run it.
- Tap on the blue code below.
Confirm the pass code on both your watch and your tablet.
- You will see the progress of pairing on the screen on your tablet and your phone.
- When establishing Bluetooth connection, your tablet and your watch will ask you to confirm the passkey.
- Next you will see apps syncing between your watch and your tablet. It may take several minutes.
- As you can see, my smartwatch has been successfully paired with my tablet and I can now enjoy using both of the devices at the same time.
If you ever want your watch to be again paired with your Android phone, you have to go through the whole process once again (including restoring factory settings).
Do you have any other questions or problems? Feel free to leave me your comments in the comment box below or contact me directly. I would love to hear from you!